The Lebanon County Heritage Trail was designed to create community-wide greenway networks and connect to county identified greenways and trails. The trail highlights historical architecture, structures and cultural areas that add to the heritage of our region.
Currently, there are 8 Heritage Trail maps available: NEW Cornwall, Annville, City of Lebanon, Jonestown, Schaefferstown, Mt Gretna, Myerstown, and Palmyra. Maps can be picked up at the Lebanon County Historical Society and Visit Lebanon Valley office at the Farmers Market. Or contact the Executive Director of the Conservancy.
The Conservancy offers theses maps to the community at no charge. If you enjoy the maps and want to see this great program continue, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Conservancy. Use the PayPal button on the home page.
The new map of Cornwall just launched this March. Here you will find more noteworthy heritage sites highlighted in this map:
R. Percy Alden Villa - The Alden Place, 100 Freeman Drive.
This mansion, known as Millwood was designed by Stanford White, one of the most prominent New York architects of the Gilded Age. It was built in 1881 for R. Percy Alden, son of Anne Caroline Coleman and Bradford Alden. Impressively perched high on a hill, this villa is truly a unique dwelling and a spectacular example of an Old English manor house containing a great hall with a musicians’ gallery, a broad arched ceiling, a stained glass window wall and clerestory windows, as well as a floor plan reminiscent of the American Queen Anne Revival style. The exterior main gable entrance exhibits half-timbering of the early Victorian Stick-Syles and a unique stucco mosaic wall embellished with broken colored glass. Millwood remained in the Alden family until 1949 when it was sold to the Amalgamated Garment Workers Union for their employees’ recreational use.
R. Percy Alden Carriage House - 104 Alden Way
Also designed in 1881 by the renowned architect, Stanford White, this former carriage house was relocated several hundred feet north west from it’s original location. It is an equally impressive structure as the historic Alden mansion, it once served.
Horst’s Mill - 611 Rexmont Road
This 1836 stone mill can trace its origins back to the mid-1700s. It once was a popular site for the local farmers to have their wheat or corn ground into flour or animal feed. Until recent years, the mill had remained within the Horst family for well over two centuries.
Krall’s Mennonite Meeting House - 380 Schaeffer Road
This 1815 structure, located due east on the Rexmont Road, once was used as a meeting house for an earlier group of Mennonites originally called, “The Society of Old Order Mennonists.” They relocated their congregation to a more central location on present day Route 897. In 1957, the building was sold and remodeled into a private dwelling.
Bucher’s Meeting House - 380 Schaeffer Road_
The German Brethren House was constructed in 1871, by the Bucher family. It still stands, showing very little alterations and is currently owned by Lebanon County’s Midway Church on the Brethren.
Robert H. Coleman Estate’s Stable- Carriage House - West of Toy Town, Cornwall Road
An incredible stable and carriage house is all that remains of Robert Habersham Coleman’s Estate. The mansion named “Cornwall Hall” and it’s out buildings were designed by the Philadelphia architectural firm of Hewitt and Hewitt, which underwent construction in 1888, for Robert and his second wife, Edith Johnstone. This grand red sandstone residence of Richardsonian- Romanesque- Style was never completed or occupied and eventually razed in 1914. Completing the Robert H. Coleman Estate, the remaining stable/carriage house proves the status of its owners wealth. Built of local sandstone, it has Stick-Style Victorian features such an impressive tower, blue cobalt glass skylights, along with many grand exterior and interior details that are reminiscent of an earlier mansion that was under construction in 1880, to be the home of Robert and his first wife Lily Clark. It too was never completed or occupied and ordered to be demolished with no traces of its existence by the grieving Robert, due to Lily’s sudden death while they were honeymooning in Europe. The first mansion supposedly stood to the west of the majestic stables, and was designed by the renown Philadelphia architect, W. Bleddyn Powell.